GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my truck into the shop to get the coilovers cranked to get them stiffer, so it wasn't such a mushy ride. Well they told me that the coilovers were mounted upside down, but the coils are facing the right way. So, now they have to take off the coilovers, take off the springs, put the springs back on the other way, then put the coilovers back on and then crank it back up. So, its gonna cost me as long as that takes. So this is why my truck rides like it has no shocks and no sway bar. I was riding on the springs and no shocks. I can't believe the shop did it like that. Do not get a truck lifted at a tire and wheel shop. Here is a pic to see it is upside down, tomorrow I am getting it fixed and the ride should be night/day difference.
Evan

·
Registered
832 Posts
I dont think this pertains to all shocks...but you may want to call bilstein and see if running them upside down could have damaged them. If so sounds like that shop owes you new ones.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
EWogy said:
So I took my truck into the shop to get the coilovers cranked to get them stiffer, so it wasn't such a mushy ride. Well they told me that the coilovers were mounted upside down, but the coils are facing the right way. So, now they have to take off the coilovers, take off the springs, put the springs back on the other way, then put the coilovers back on and then crank it back up. So, its gonna cost me as long as that takes. So this is why my truck rides like it has no shocks and no sway bar. I was riding on the springs and no shocks. I can't believe the shop did it like that. Do not get a truck lifted at a tire and wheel shop. Here is a pic to see it is upside down, tomorrow I am getting it fixed and the ride should be night/day difference.
Evan
holy shit... new century tire sucks... hopefully nothing else on ur truck isn't messed up. first the power steering and the break lines, now this? Get them to pay for the work done on ur truck. they are worse than howie...

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
00Silverado said:
Evan, I cant believe you didnt notice that it was upside down!:crazy: LMFAO
Haha, you are a comedian, fuck you mother fucker, I fucking hate you, die!!!!!!!! :eek:wned2: Haha
Evan

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
00Silverado said:
Evan, I cant believe you didnt notice that it was upside down!:crazy: LMFAO
ehh i'm guessin alot of people wouldn't know that they were upside down. But its not like you can really see them when the tires/rims are on anyways.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
that sucks. being as you say they were installed by a tire place, i can understand why they put them in there that way. if they didnt know other wise they put them in like a normal shock :crazy:

hopefully they will be fine and all will be good. BUT one thing i would look into, find out if the packaging your coil overs came in had any directions as to how to mount them. if they did then the shop that installed them is liable to buy you knew ones(if bilstein says yours could be damaged).

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, they took off the coilovers today and they blew up and almost took off a guy's head. The problem was not as much them being upside down as much as they are the wrong coilovers for my truck. They are for a Ranger. The spring rate is much too loose for a fullsize truck. So, now I have 2-2.5 King coilovers custom made for my truck with the correct spring rate on order. They should be here by Monday and then will go on. Now in the rear I am going to sell the Bilsteins and run 2-2.5 14" King's with reservoirs, so I ahve King's all around. The shop said that running them upside down didn't ruin them or affect the ride as great as having the spring rate wrong.
Evan

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Thats too bad that they originally sent you the wrong coilovers, but I'm glad you are getting everything fixed to the correct specs Evan! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts