GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTF, high install price for a muffler install.. w/ pics and vids

Just a little rant I suppose. I dropped my truck off to have a Corsa muffler installed. I dropped it off thinking it would be about 50-70 bucks, or less to have them do the job. I told them to dump it, but they swore that would be too loud. My little guy does ride in his seat right above the muffler. I figured since it was lifted it would be ok. Well, they said they can run a pipe over the axle and then tuck it away so I don't see it. Thats all I really wanted, just not to see any exhaust. Well, I just got a call from the shop and they told me $180.00 for the work. Seems a BIT high don't you think? I am leaving work now to go pick it up. I will be sure to question such a high price, but damn, I should of just bought a cat-back and installed it myself. I KNOW I should of taken it to the cheap-o Midas again. Thats who installed my Magnaflow for 45.75. I heard good things about the shop that just raped me, oh well. I will report back.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
eh idk. never had a muffler installed. but if their labor rate is 90 bucks and hour...which most shops are, and it took 2 hours to do, which i would think thats how long a muffler install would take, then 180 sounds right.

even if it only took an hour and 15 minutes, they are gonna charge you for 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
im assuming you already had the muffler? seems a bit to high... i got my new muffler from the shop and they installed it and did a turn down and it was $100 for everything

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, already had the muffler. I guess if it took 2 hours then 180 sounds good, but the reason I did the muffler only was to do it cheaper then a full cat-back. Could of done a fuggin cat-back for like 50 more.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Well im guessing they used 3 inch pipe to go out of the muffler and over the axle if you have a corsa muffler. So that plus their time....

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Yeah, already had the muffler. I guess if it took 2 hours then 180 sounds good, but the reason I did the muffler only was to do it cheaper then a full cat-back. Could of done a fuggin cat-back for like 50 more.
fuck that why should you pay for a slow ass moving person?

No it does not take 2 hours to install a muffler. 1 hour TOPS

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
50-70 tops anything more than that and you are getting ripped off
To cut his old shit off, weld on the new muffler, run a pipe out of the muffler, over the axle, put hangers on all this shit. You think your going to get that for 50 bucks?

Hittin the pipe a little early today?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
To cut his old shit off, weld on the new muffler, run a pipe out of the muffler, over the axle, put hangers on all this shit. You think your going to get that for 50 bucks?

No :bawl: But after work, YES!!!!!

Ok a muffler swap should cost 50-60. Running new pipe from muffler over the axle should be 40-50. So Id say tops Id pay $120

Im just going off pricing that my 2 local shops would charge me.

I just got work done on my g/fs stang and he installed the stock h pipe plus cut off the pipe off the mufflers and did turn downs all for $100.
And installing a stock h pipe is more time involved than a muffler swap

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts

:word: theres no way for $50

hell material alone is more than that.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I don't see a muffler shop getting $90/hr for labor :jester:

Too high IMO, $100 is more reasonable.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I did hit the Roor before work :smokin:, but just seemed expensive when people are saying they had mufflers thrown in for 50-70 bucks, if that. I guess thats it they have them dumped, or re-use the factory tailpiping. The muffler I had them install was also a 2.5 diameter and the inlet/outlets were off. I guess they did have to do a lot of work. I just got back from picking it up. They did a great job. They even painted all the piping black to keep it from being seen as easy. I am happy so fuck it! Now, I'll just have to hit the pipe a little less to off-set the exhaust purchase/install. :smokin2:

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I paid 55 for them to cut my Magnaflow out, weld up the the CBE, add two hangers and re-weld my tips to the muffler (before I dumped em). Im sure the "custom" bent aluminum tubing didnt cost them that much. That wasnt SS Grade 304 shit im betting.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AHH, WTF! Yeah, its just aluminized piping... My bill read:

1 center pipe
1 tailpipe
3 hangers
2 clamps
-welding
-installed

---total 180.00

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Aluminized piping must be like gold in Delaware :eek:

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
very rare :read:

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
It may be a little high, but you didnt get reemed. Different shops charge more/less...sounds like you got a quality install anyway.

So how do you like the sound?

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It does sound fuggin awesome. A lot better then the Magnaflow I had on there before, so I am happy in that aspect.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts