GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good sounding exhaust set up.. I want to do bassani mufflers but i have a question.. Would it be better to do a y-pipe to one single muffler or an x-pipe to 2 mufflers..? Also is it better to do 2.5 inch midpipe and 3 inch back or to go with full 3 inch all the way back..? Which would be best for sound and what would be better for performance..? The sooner i can figure this out the sooner i can get my exhaust.. PLEASE HELP

·
Sparkplugs FTL
1,957 Posts
i have 2.5" exhaust right after the cats i have a 2.5" x pipe in to 2 2.5" magnaflow 12" or 16" race cans good low rumble but really breates at upper rpm. i love it

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do a search dude.
i did a search and found half of what i was asking.. if i run y pipe i should use 3 inch piping.. and for x pipe to use 2.5.. but what set up would be better for performance..? running a 2.5 inch x pipe or a 3 inch y pipe..

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
You dont get alot of performance out of an exhaust set up. I am running a bolt on magnaflow kit that has a 2.5 pipe all the way to the tip. But I have stock manifolds and y pipe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess i also should of mentioned that i plan on geting headers, cams, springs, a custom tune and running a stall converter..

·
Sparkplugs FTL
1,957 Posts
i did a search and found half of what i was asking.. if i run y pipe i should use 3 inch piping.. and for x pipe to use 2.5.. but what set up would be better for performance..? running a 2.5 inch x pipe or a 3 inch y pipe..
what are you hopeing for dyno results that show a difference 3.26589 hp

dual 2.5 has an area of 9.78 si
3" has 7.06 si

dual 2.5 will flow more exhaust

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what are you hopeing for dyno results that show a difference 3.26589 hp

dual 2.5 has an area of 9.78 si
3" has 7.06 si

dual 2.5 will flow more exhaust
just looking for the best set up i can get.. i know its nothing drastic.. thanks for the info

·
Registered
186 Posts
imo do an x pipe, dual 2.5's with dual bassani muffs and turndowns right after them

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imo do an x pipe, dual 2.5's with dual bassani muffs and turndowns right after them
thanks i think i am going to do that.. one more stupid question.. lol.. should i use a turn down tip with 3 or 4 inch pipe or just use the 2.5 pipe to turn down after muffler..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts