GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was talking to this guy today who owns a muffler shop and we were talking about exhaust....well he was saying that runnin an X pipe set up and dual flows would increase performance...is this true, and also what im more interested in is this legal....like street/smog legal....

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
its totally legal if you do not alter your factory cats in any way.

and if you're really serious about exhaust performance then ditch those flowmasters :read:

i HIGHLY doubt you will notice a difference with an x pipe unless you have a serious power adder like N2O or a blower

btw im not saying that you will be able to feel a difference in power between your flow and say a magnaflow either......but if you had a blower you would :crazy:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you say ditch those flows....what kind of exhaust should i run...whats a good brand to to run

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Joshs2002Silverado said:
you say ditch those flows....what kind of exhaust should i run...whats a good brand to to run
im not saying ditch the flows technically, BUT what i am saying is that IF you wanted to make the highest performing exhaust system then true duals, xpipe, and a magnaflow type muffler would be the best. BUT you really dont need all that unless you have other serious mods for your engine.

as your truck stands now a single 3 inch pipe or dual 2.5s would suit you fine without an x-pipe or swapping mufflers. get what i mean?

i personally like the sound of flowmaster, but magnaflow outperforms them. i have a corsa myself, which is the same as a magnaflow but with zero resonance :crazy:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool...thanks...yeah right now i have what it says in my sig...
Headers, intake, nelson tune, and the flows.....

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
an x-pipe would definetly give you more back pressure for better low-end torque response, just as if you were putting headers on... i would say ditch the flowmasters as well...

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
yeah....i always thought flows were the choice of the masses.....whatsa the best performing muffler for our trucks anyway? hmmmm............

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
thedj75 said:
yeah....i always thought flows were the choice of the masses.....whatsa the best performing muffler for our trucks anyway? hmmmm............
Not Flows.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
99Silver5.3 said:
Not Flows.

well everyone says not flows...well if you all hate flows soo much then what is a better brand to run...i mean as far as bolt ons muffler choice aint going to make that big of a diff is it....and most people just choose flows cause they know it sounds good...

·
Registered
378 Posts
hey flows have a drown to them. on ls1 tech someone listed a comparison chart that showed flows to be a little more restrictivethan others. if you like the flows then keep them. there are a enough people running good times with them now. there are better muffs out there. i went to an edelbrock which is a good flowing muffler.and know people that have went to the same muff from a flow and gained hp.
x-pipe---if you went true duals then you lost low end power. an x-pipe equals out the exhaust pulses and gives great power throughout.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i mean i'm no dyno but i dont feel like i lost any low end. Seems like i gained a bunch around like 25, got a lil more punch to it. JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts