GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting bored ! Its the 4th and no parties, friends are in Panama, and I love to try and figure stuff out. The one about the buzzing of the Pioneer 4600 was getting to me , but I think it was the radio, so I want some more tough ones to answer

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
how about this.

I recently score a Cheaper pioneer (2001 model) and i was gonna put it in my cavalier. Well i ripped out the old Kenwood Tape Deck to find that my factory wiring harness was cut out and the deck was hard wired in. Well ive hooked up what i believe is my main power to the new pioneer deck. I checked this with a electrical tester to find that it is a constant power source. Well then i found what i believe is my ignition power lead but no power comes to it when i turn the key. Also the way the old deck was wired in is that the guy had a wire bridging the constant power and ignition power wires. Should i try bridging these to see if it will work by doing that? Is there any way that i can open the hood and somehow connect the new deck straight to the battery to make sure it does indeeed come on and work? What should i do here?

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
metz said:
check the fuses
I forgot about that no ignition thing. Yeah check the fuse. It should be around a 10-15 amp

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ok heres one for you. I have no money to spend but want to be able to hook my iPod into my car stero. Now all the head units with a front input are several hundred $$. Looks to me like im up shit creek without a paddle until I can keep my money out of my suspension and put some into my stero. :crazy:

P.S. Yes I tried one of those FM modulators, they blow.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
are you guys talking the inline fuses to the harness or my actual fuses in the car fuse box

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Ok heres one for you. I have no money to spend but want to be able to hook my iPod into my car stero. Now all the head units with a front input are several hundred $$. Looks to me like im up shit creek without a paddle until I can keep my money out of my suspension and put some into my stero. :crazy:

The pioneer i had...for 160...has an option for an aux input, plays mp3's, and can control an xm reciever. The dongle to add the aux is like 30 bucks on ebay. That was my pioneer with the buzzing btw. I returned it and got another one, same problem. Now I'm looking for another one... I really really really liked that headunit, it sounded badass, except for the buzzing/interference that I could hear on the quieter music. It probably wouldn't bother most people one bit, but I have an ear for that crap and it bugs teh hell out of me. Now I just have a gaping hole in my dash :( I may order another one of the same model off ikesound and see what happens, that deck has gotten good reviews everywhere I looked so I think they may have had a bad batch of them at wally world.

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dark Eternal said:
what car stereo do you have, that might help. I have a brand new DEI modulator I wouldnt mind selling that worked great for me. I got it, tried it once watching Bad Boys 2 at work one day and it sounds great.
and we carry a Aiwa with a front input for $99. The rest is kinda crappy, with only one set of outputs , but its only $99

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Aha! GOt the prob. I have a speaker wire that is yellow and the ignition wire is yellow. Supposed to be 2 different shades but over time age has made them the same color and it turns out i had them crossed up. THing works perfect now

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Hmm, one of my subs has stopped working in my box. I didn't do anything to them, it just stopped working the other day.
You think maybe the wire came loose from the posts on the sub? I wouldn't think that would be possible unless the vibrations from the bass slowly unscrewed the thing over time.

I'd take it all out and check it but it takes 2 people and a couple hours for all that...I just haven't had the time.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Whifflebat said:
The pioneer i had...for 160...has an option for an aux input, plays mp3's, and can control an xm reciever. The dongle to add the aux is like 30 bucks on ebay. That was my pioneer with the buzzing btw. I returned it and got another one, same problem. Now I'm looking for another one... I really really really liked that headunit, it sounded badass, except for the buzzing/interference that I could hear on the quieter music. It probably wouldn't bother most people one bit, but I have an ear for that crap and it bugs teh hell out of me. Now I just have a gaping hole in my dash :( I may order another one of the same model off ikesound and see what happens, that deck has gotten good reviews everywhere I looked so I think they may have had a bad batch of them at wally world.
Ill send u my H/U that we both know works right, if you wanna have ikesound send me the 460MP pioneer premier H/U...same price and everything...lol

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smith, the easiest ways to figure that one out is to either 9 volt "pop" the suspected yellow and brown or to ohm check them or to test light or multimeter the yellow when the key is on

halecj, yes Ill bet a wire fell loose, those spring terminals get wear out. Have you checked the amp and fuses yet? Ive seen some amps that will light up when the remote is active but they dont have a constant power so you think all is good

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Ill send u my H/U that we both know works right, if you wanna have ikesound send me the 460MP pioneer premier H/U...same price and everything...lol

Nah thats alrite, I think i'll pick up the 460 myself for 139... :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's another one:

A couple weeks ago my amp fried. Its a Planet Audio PA4002.
This is what happened before it fried: I went to a CHP station during my lunch. When I left I was bumpin, like always, and I noticed that the bass went down considerably. While im driving, I checked my settings on my H/U (pioneer avh-p6400cd) and everything was normal. I decide to turn of the subs off, through the H/U, cuz I thought the amp was gettin hot so I wanted it to cool off. I didnt know how it would get hot enough to malfunction since I was on the streets for only 5 minutes but I turned em off anyways. I got back to work and while Im parking I turned the subs on to see if that had corrected the problem. Nope same thing, bass is really low. I turned em off again and went to work. I got off from work about 3 hours later and went home w/ the subs still off. While im pulling up my driveway I turned em on to see if they would hit again...but no...still no bass. I parked the truck and kept it on while I checked the subs to see if there was anything out of the ordinary...nope, everything looked fine. I then turn off the truck and as soon as I do that I hear a *poof* sound from behind my rear seat (where the amp is mounted). I turn around and I see smoke coming out from the rear seat. :bawl: :flame:

Any ideas on what could've happend to fry the amp.

Im gettin another one in about a week. I just want to know what it was so if it was my fault I wont do it again.

thanks

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what happened, you bought a cheap amp! lol
maybe it just had enuff, maybe you cursed it out, or you just pushed it too hard/ had it wired at the wrong ohm load too long, either way it smoked

1 - 17 of 17 Posts