GMC Truck Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
So for the people that don't know. Motor was pulled a couple months ago and sold. Will finish chopping up the rest and selling it off and forget this every happened...

Not really but original motor and trans did sell a couple of months ago and car has been sitting on my trailer in storage ever since, been like a month since I have even seen it. It will be getting an LS swap soon, well as soon as we get my buddies shop finished and a heater hung.

Spent the last few months looking for deals and collecting parts. I actually ordered 99% of the parts off eBay (name brands) when they had coupons and saved quite a bit. Today I finally ordered most of the parts left that I needed minus the fuel and water pumps as I am not sure what to get yet.

Plan is to replace all the seals (not pulling the heads), starter, alternator, etc. Have a rebuilt transmission ready to go. It should be pretty solid unless something internal goes wrong and in that case I tried.

Trying to decide if I want to go ahead and redo the interior while i have it out or wait. I am waiting to see how many more surprises I run into before committing to it, also how late in the year it is. The interior will be getting covered in Dynamat while everything is out.

Not a great update as nothing is happening yet but trying to keep myself motivated, lol.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Started tearing the motor down last night and used a scope to look into the cylinders. Surprisingly, even though the outside was pretty dirty, you could still see cross hatching on walls so this may be a decent motor after all.

Not sure you can really tell in the pictures but these exhaust manifold bolts are not quite straight. On the same side (drivers) they helped me out by breaking the others off in the block. Guessing they had a quality mechanic perform some work at some point.

Found this gem which, unless they swapped out gaskets themselves with OEM or using that same quality mechanic, could be still the factory gaskets.

Found several of these mud dauber creations in some interesting spots.

And where we left off for the weekend.

As you can see she isn't the prettiest of motors but honestly really happy considering it has sat for over 10 years in different garages that were not climate controlled.

Next up is degreasing and power washing (maybe several times) and mocking up with the new intake manifold then paint and reassembly.

If I can ever find the trailer keys, next weekend we should be moving the car over and maybe start stripping the interior.

Not much of an update but excited to finally having something to update.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Last night we decided to do some mock up with the LS1 intake. Found out that I will need to get LS1 steam lines and that I was not happy with trying to modify the truck water pump.

Rotated it as others had suggested and still couldn't get the throttle body on. Got out the old trusty hammer and massaged the nipple. No dice but figured we were replacing this one anyways so why not just "massage" it till it fits? A little more and could get the TB on and the throttle would turn freely but hit the nipple at, what I assume, would be wide open which is where I plan to drive most of the time.

While brain storming my buddy looks over the LS3 6.0 out of 2010ish conversion van that he has sitting next to my motor (this is normal, right?). Water pump looks like it would solve all the world's issues. Instead of coming out vertically and doing a 45 it came out start at a 45 with a straight nipple. So we did what any of you would do and swapped out over and just like that I had the clearance in the all the right places.

So now I have to take back the truck water pump and get one for a van. We did check a 2010 5.3 Sierra that was there and it appears to be the same.

The old WP

And pics of the van WP

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
just an fyi if thats a van 6.0L the waterpump will work and the pulley will be fine. If its an LS3 than it the belts wont line up as they're spaced out or in I cant remember which

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
just an fyi if thats a van 6.0L the waterpump will work and the pulley will be fine. If its an LS3 than it the belts wont line up as they're spaced out or in I cant remember which
It's out of a van and threw a belt on and appears to line up. I may have misspoke with saying LS3, that is what I was told and I can't keep up on all these motors, lol. Actually starting in on this I wish I would have bought a wrecked GTO was it would have had most if the parts I needed but here we are.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Finally spent a little bit of time on this. Was going to get a bit more done but due to it taking a few hours laying on the ground fighting getting the pitman arm off I only got the steering box and idler arm changed out. It was something I needed to get done though. Have next Monday and Tuesday off to work on the car so going to have the motor in and interior out but that may be a pretty lofty goal.

I did find the ECU so now I need to get that sent off to get unlocked so that I can start the car when the time comes and move it on the trailer. Baby steps...

I also found the sway bar bushings look like poo so ordered some new ones and need to order a new steering wheel but can't decide on the size. Not impressed with the condition of the control arm bushings but it is a snow ball of parts needed when I tackle this so maybe next winter.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
I guess I am sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly with you guys. We noticed a little rust from underneath on the driver side so purchased a new floor pan already, passenger side looked brand new. Going to seal everything up and then put in Dynamat and Dynapad in that I have left over from the white Chevy that Dynamat sponsored back in 2013.

Dropped a bare block block in to check fitment and the motor mounts I have, from when this motor was supposed to go on an S10 frame for a 48 pickup, won't work. Trying to decide if I should cough up the $150 for Dirty Dingo mounts or cut these up and remake some. GTO oil pan looks like it should work with minimal reshaping on the frame. From a quick look we may not have to modify the firewall or trans time tunnel but need to gut one of my 4l60e teams to know for sure.

Progress today, will hopefully get it vacuumed out and the old sound deadening scraped it more. Wires will be cleaned up once Dynamat is down.

[IMG]

Was about to be able to Flintstone it, really complimented the lack of motor.

[IMG]

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,243 Posts
I guess I am sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly with you guys. We noticed a little rust from underneath on the driver side so purchased a new floor pan already, passenger side looked brand new. Going to seal everything up and then put in Dynamat and Dynapad in that I have left over from the white Chevy that Dynamat sponsored back in 2013.

Dropped a bare block block in to check fitment and the motor mounts I have, from when this motor was supposed to go on an S10 frame for a 48 pickup, won't work. Trying to decide if I should cough up the $150 for Dirty Dingo mounts or cut these up and remake some. GTO oil pan looks like it should work with minimal reshaping on the frame. From a quick look we may not have to modify the firewall or trans time tunnel but need to gut one of my 4l60e teams to know for sure.

Progress today, will hopefully get it vacuumed out and the old sound deadening scraped it more. Wires will be cleaned up once Dynamat is down.

[IMG]

Was about to be able to Flintstone it, really complimented the lack of motor.

[IMG]
I bought the adjustable mounts from dirty dingo for the Camaro and they are really nice. I needed some wiggle room so I went adjustable since I don't have a lot to work with. Less dicking around

81 - 100 of 100 Posts