GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are yellowed and oxidized and Im wondering if there is a fix for this. Now before i get flamed right out of this forum for not searching, I did and I understand that some wet sanding and some polishing will likely do the job.

I've done that... and it definetley made a difference, but now the lights are just a shiny yellow/brown rather than clear and shiny. So, does the yellow tinge go all the way through the plastic to where no matter how much sanding is done it will never come out clear again, or do I just need to continue sanding?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
mine i just continued to sand until they got clear. i went with a coarse grit and worked my way finer

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried any of these?

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

Used it on my dads 94 dodge ram with similar problems. Worked pretty good, but not sure how bad yours is.
I havent tried that specific kit, but I do have a plastic restoration polish that I used. I think the polishes are more for restoring the shine rather than cutting the yellow out. Which brings me back to my main question, is the yellow throughout the plastic, or just on the surface, or is it a case where the longer the lights are exposed to sun/elements the deeper the discoloration goes? Thanks for the replies everyone!

·
No Habla Jibber Jabber!
662 Posts
permatex has another kit out that i have heard good things about too. probably a little cheaper than the megs stuff. i seen it in napa

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
meguirs plast-x works wonders on my wrx's old headlights. they were very oxidized and distored and yellowed. after a couple uses they got brought back to their full nice and shine and clarity. i would highly recommend it

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
A lot of times you have to wetsand them then buff them back out with polish. That has worked the best on many customers' vehicles if they were in really bad shape.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
3M makes a kit that we used on a nissan sentra that had yellow, oxidized, totally screwed headlights. Took about an hour but the look brand new. As for the yellow just sand a little bit more.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
wet sand with a low grit, like 600 - 100 and end up with 2 K

polish with plastic restorer, two passes if severe

seal after you are done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts