GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2011 Silverado Driver
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 silverado with a 4.8. I want to put a new exhaust on it but there really isn't much I've found out there that says Hit/Miss with the 4.8.
I want more rumble no annoying straight-pipe popping.
I thought about just replacing the stock muffler with a straight through design like this magnaflow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11249-Magnaflow-Stainless-Steel-Muffler-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb9167cf7QQitemZ260803296503QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Does anybody have any good sound clips of a 4.8 without a lot of mods such as cams or headers? I also thought about doing a single in dual out with 3.5 inch tips. Isn't it that the longer the tips are the deeper sound they make? I'm just throwing all this out for discussion since I've just started to add stuff to my truck

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
You want it loud? Quiet? Somewhere in-between?

I'd do a single 3" muffler dumped after the axle, under the truck, no tips to keep it clean. Dynomax Bullet if you want it loud, or a Magnaflow if you want it a little tamer.

·
2011 Silverado Driver
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like it to be loud above 3500 or wot but still have a nice rumble at start-up and Idle. Doesn't dumping it under the bed cause a lot of in cab drone which I really don't want.
I know GMFS is anti dual rear tips but don't they do something for the sound, not just looks?

I'm just comparing this to my buddies 5.7 2dr hoe which has true dual cherry bomb vortex's and 2 18 inch by 3.5 (or 4?) inch tips. His has ground-shaking rumble at start up but he also has a lot of drone during normal driving.

I know my 4.8 isn't gonna sound like the 350 but still I could make it sound a little more throaty than it is now

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
Those 5.7's sound wayyyy different, and his setup is going to be prone to drone with true duals and those mufflers.

I'd do a bullet dumped as far back as possible, it'll be aggressive and sound great. I know a number of people who have ran that setup and loved it.

·
2011 Silverado Driver
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I've pretty much got it all set except for the exact muffler I'm gonna to use.
Its gonna be welded in the stock location with stock piping but I'm not completely sure which muffler to get. I thought about a magnaflow single-in/out but the different case lengths confuse me whats the difference in sound between the lengths? I get confused if its the long ones that reduce noise but add rumble or vice versa. I'm not 100% set on magnaflow but I'm not going to use dynomax or flowmaster and my exhuast shop can't get CBEs so thats out too. Suggestions?
:beatdeadhorse5:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The shorter the louder for the Magnaflo's. I had an 18" one on my 06 and it was nice. Though when I do it again on my new truck I just picked up I will go for something a little louder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts