GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm new to this website and so far I think all of the rides on here are SWEET!!! I just bought a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT Stepside and I'm taking it to the shop next week to get done up. Here's my question: Will 23" diamo 12 karats (285/35/23) on a ground force 3/5 drop work? Is there enough clearance and will this be okay for a daily driver. I'm also doing a c-notch and helper airbags. Give me your opinion b/c I'm starting to get a little nervous and if this doesn't work my wife just might kill me:) Everyones opinions welcomed.

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
Welcome to the site. I would say they would probably rub considering they're chrome rims and they won't tuck. I know Ewogy knows a guy that has 22's on a 3/5 but I don't know about 23's.

Check out the events forum if you live in Socal, there's gonna be a meet coming up.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
My 20's on 275/45/20's are pretty close on my 3/5. Click my sig to some pics.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
285/35/23 is a 30.9" tall tire so it might be cutting it close on a 3/5. Do you know the dimensions on the wheels along with the backspacing/offset? If they stick out a tad bit you might have some rubbing issues.

last but not least, welcome to the site! its great to have you here :)

steve

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Badassilverado said:
Yeah, those are a tall and wide tire. As Steve said you better be careful. I personally think they'd fit better with a 2/4 b/c they'll fill up the wheel wells nicely. For some reason they rarely if ever make chrome wheels (particularly larger dia's ..20+) with backspacing and offsets that don't stick out quite a bit.

I'm using 3" coils in the front that lowered it close to 4" but w/ my 275/45/20s there's no gap. I couldn't run a larger tire w/o rubbing and my wheels in front slightly tuck.
Werd. Same here with mine.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
a tire that size on a 22" wheel would be extremely close and would only fit on that drop IF the rim's backspacing was correct. Those won't tuck, and sorry to say, but they won't fit with that drop.

I'd say get a 40 series tire on the 23's and just drop the rear of your truck 2".

or with a 3/5... look for a smaller wheel/tire combo that WILL tuck.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
might even have problems with a 2/4 on occasion (sharp turns, steep inclines)

imo i would do 22's and a 2/4 or gets 24's and a 0/2 drop

ofcourse bagz can fix all those problems :evillol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, so here's the deal. The wheels are a done deal- paid for already, so no changing that-23" it is:) The only I could change at this point is the drop. Is there anything else I could do to make this work? Again, I'm new to all this custom truck stuff (love it already though), so can someone explain what exactly you mean by "backspacing and offset"? Thanks a lot everyone.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
DrHomey said:
Alright, so here's the deal. The wheels are a done deal- paid for already, so no changing that-23" it is:) The only I could change at this point is the drop. Is there anything else I could do to make this work? Again, I'm new to all this custom truck stuff (love it already though), so can someone explain what exactly you mean by "backspacing and offset"? Thanks a lot everyone.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40

This link explains offset and backspacing very well :D

You can make it work...but it would involve alot of work. I have seen a bagged truck running 23's with glass front fenders and pulled rear bedsides.

Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=17059

That particular truck is on 23's and bagged as well :)

For your application you might be better off checking into a 2/4 drop since the 3/5 might cause problems. You might have slight rub issues with 2/4, but shouldn't be bad at all.

I hope i helped you some, if not, feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like and everyone here will do their best to answer them for you!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
DrHomey said:

bag it :anitoof:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all, thanks for your replies ( the offset explanation was great). In regards to bagging, what is the typical price of bagging (what a shop charges)? How's the ride- better/ worse than lowering? Thanks for the replies.

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
The price can range from a couple thousand to past 5 thousand. You get what you pay for as far as quality and dependability goes. The ride is better than stock if you have the right set up. It can be better than a drop because of the adjustability of ride height.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Well, unless you want to spend a couple of thousand dollars more on bags, a 2/4 will be the limit for you. You also have to consider that if you bag, you have to get some way to stuff those big wheels/tires into the fender (front or back). Even with negative camber it'll be a close call but anything can be done. :read:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
bagging it prbly isn't a good idea in your case... If you do, u will have to drive it up high, which usually results in a bad ride. I would just stick to having a static drop. I would try a 2/4 and see how close it is to rubbing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i had a 285/50/20 when i first did a 3/5 on my truck,on big turns it rubbed terribly, that size tire is about the size my 20" tires were

·
Registered
559 Posts
if it doesnt lay he wont have to drive it up high cuz he wont need to lift it much,most guys with bags and 23s dont lay so he will prob only need about 90psi to drive,that is not gonna be a prob cuz i dont think he is gonna make it lay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, the shop tried my 23's on a 2004 Chevy w/ a 2/4 ground force drop and he said there was only about 1.5 inches b/t tire and fender. He's recommending me to get 22's and lower it 2/4. I really want a 3/5 and I'm willing to compromise on the wheel size and get 22's. Is 3/5 w/ 22's possible and if so what size tire should I get. Also, will I need to notch it??? Please help!!!!! I want my truck back:)

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
You can go with a billet wheel and have them "tuck" with no problems. Bonspeed, Billet Specialties, and Intro all offer 22x8.5 wheels now and you can get 6" of backspacing with that combined with a 265/35/22 tire and go about as low as you'd like :D I believe there is a 265/40/22 as well that would look good with a 2/4 or 3/5 and you shouldn't have any rubbing problems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts