GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this one yesterday. The owner warned me it was bad, but I figured, cmon, I've done some pretty bad cars, how bad could it be. Boy was I wrong, lol. It was bad! The owner was a really cool kid from ny who had purchased the car pretty much in the condition I saw it in. He, and I, wanted to shoot the previous owner for letting it get this bad. The hood, roof and trunk suffered the worst with extremely bad contamination, etching, scratching, etc. An area of the hood had been keyed too. Sides of the car were also in bad shape, but didnt have as much fallout for obvious reasons. Lots of oxidation as well. Basically, you name it, it had it.
Anyway, I think I pretty much met the limit of the pc on this car. This exterior job came in at just under 7 hours, 2+ hours of which was just the first couple passes of ssr2.5 around the car. I really need to step it up and learn how to effectively and safely use a rotary. I'm making that my mid/end summer goal.
\
So heres how it went down:
apc/citrus prespray
wash
clay (use my whole 200g bar on this :( )
rewash
ssr2.5 on yellow and/or green edge pad depending on area
ssr1 on blue edge
ex

I was eager to take pics initially and during the ssr2.5, but after realizing how much time I was wasting, quickly decided to avoid the pics until I was done.

These are after working some 2.5

I stopped taking pics at this point until I finished b/c I was moving really slow. Sorry for some poor after shots, but I didnt want to pull it outside until the owner got there b/c it was raining by the time I finished. I was getting poor lighting w/ the bay door open as you can tell.

And pretty much how I felt at the end of the job lol

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I really need to step it up and learn how to effectively and safely use a rotary. I'm making that my mid/end summer goal.
Same thing I've been thinking. I want to learn to use a rotary buffer, just scares me to think of the consequences if something goes wrong. Great work on that car... looked like the previous owner was washing that thing with gravel :nono:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice job. I never realized how much work it takes to get these cars back in shape. Now that I have finally begun to attempt at detailing my truck, I have gained loads of respect for ya'lls work :worship:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
that came out so much better than before, i use a rotary at work sometimes and the consequences of screwing up can be bad, i havent had anything bad but on a compartment door of a rv, i burned through the edge because it was so thin, but i just used a brush and fixed it so that was ok

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
I like Eldorados, especially the black Eldorado from "Gone in 60 Seconds" that Atley Jackson drives. Good job on cleaning that one up.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
came out very nice Chris!......i am no pro at a high speed buffer but i have confidence in myself using one...one tip of advice on using it is is keep your RPM's low on it and and work very smoothly and evenly....

once you get that down it will cut down some of your times in half!!

·
OG
1,498 Posts
Damn Chris....... amazing work :worship:

I have a new found respect for the PC and especially your skills. You gotta tell me how you were able to get those bad scratches out :insane:
What pad sizes/brand/type are you using? I've been using Meguiars pads on my PC for the longest time and I have a helluva time getting out scratches ob my black Tahoe (i.e. spider webbing). This is my usual routine:

After claying with
e070a6a0.gif
, I start with 3M 'Perfect It II' rubbing compound
1dedcfcf.gif
on a maroon Meguiars cutting pad
..... I slowly work the compound in and break it down.

I then follow up next with Meguiars Swirl Remover #9
e3652a90.gif
applied with a yellow Meguiars polishing pad...

I then go over with Meguiars Machine Glaze
896da120.gif
and a tan finishing pad

Then I apply Meguiars NXT wax with another tan finishing pad.

It takes forever on each panel and I still am able to see the spider-webbing when the sun hits the paint at different times of the day.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :think: The pads are 6.5'' and I don't know if the PC doesn't have enough torque to work the compounds in.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :shake:

Same thing I've been thinking. I want to learn to use a rotary buffer, just scares me to think of the consequences if something goes wrong. Great work on that car... looked like the previous owner was washing that thing with gravel :nono:
:word:

I too want to learn how to use a rotary.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn Chris....... amazing work :worship:

I have a new found respect for the PC and especially your skills. You gotta tell me how you were able to get those bad scratches out :insane:
What pad sizes/brand/type are you using? I've been using Meguiars pads on my PC for the longest time and I have a helluva time getting out scratches ob my black Tahoe (i.e. spider webbing). This is my usual routine:

It takes forever on each panel and I still am able to see the spider-webbing when the sun hits the paint at different times of the day.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :think: The pads are 6.5'' and I don't know if the PC doesn't have enough torque to work the compounds in.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :shake:

I use lake country pads, 6.5" on the pc. Speed on the pc depends on whats being used/done. Although I'm not really familiar w/ the megs or 3m products and how they react or breakdown, I dont see too much wrong with your process. I know a few people that use the megs pads and achieve good results. It looks like you have everything matched up well as far as pads and product too.
Have you been able to reduce the swirls and spiderwebbing? or is there no progress at all?
I would say to try working your burgandy pad and product on speed 5 or 6 in an east>west and north>south fashion until the product is broken down. Sometimes this can take 2, 3 or 4 times in each direction. Buff off the residue and see where you're at. It should definitely be an improvement.
IF this still isnt cutting it, you may want to try a different product. It may be that the 3m stuff is just a little difficult to work with. Maybe give something like optimum a shot which has some nice working time, or even the ssr's.

·
OG
1,498 Posts

I use lake country pads, 6.5" on the pc. Speed on the pc depends on whats being used/done. Although I'm not really familiar w/ the megs or 3m products and how they react or breakdown, I dont see too much wrong with your process. I know a few people that use the megs pads and achieve good results. It looks like you have everything matched up well as far as pads and product too.
Have you been able to reduce the swirls and spiderwebbing? or is there no progress at all?
I would say to try working your burgandy pad and product on speed 5 or 6 in an east>west and north>south fashion until the product is broken down. Sometimes this can take 2, 3 or 4 times in each direction. Buff off the residue and see where you're at. It should definitely be an improvement.
IF this still isnt cutting it, you may want to try a different product. It may be that the 3m stuff is just a little difficult to work with. Maybe give something like optimum a shot which has some nice working time, or even the ssr's.
Thanks for the reply Chris :shake:

BTW, do you tape off the moldings/weatherstripping when you polish? I heard the products can be next to impossible to get out of the crevices once the PC spreads the polish :think:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply Chris :shake:

BTW, do you tape off the moldings/weatherstripping when you polish? I heard the products can be next to impossible to get out of the crevices once the PC spreads the polish :think:
It depends. Usually I'll tape them off, but if the moldings also need cleaning, I'll let them be and hit them w/ vanilla moose or something similar. But taping them off definitely makes the job go a little faster b/c you dont have to worry about hitting the moldings. I'd say I tape them off 90% of the time.

·
ayoy for the yayo
222 Posts
Very nice. What did you use for the chrome? I finally got my PB ssr1 & 2.5. They work well but it gets very messy with all the flaking. Usually I wipe it on with a MF pad and spread it around then use the PC on speed 4 to spread it around more evenly then I go up to speed 6 to buff slowly and with light pressure.

Do you think thats the best way to use PB's? or do you use a different process?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts