GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the junkyard today when I came across a late 70s or early 80s Dodge Ram 3500. The grille was removed and the registration was removed and I am not up to speed on Mopar anything so I'm not sure what year the truck is. It is gas, has leaf suspension, has a pass. side drop Dana 60 up front with kingpins and external lockouts and a FF60 out back.

I was reading on pirate that the main difference between the Chevy and Dodge 60s is the Chevy 60s are 69.5" and the Dodges are 67.5". My question is would the 2 inch difference cause any clearance issues or complicate set up using it in a SAS for my 88 K2500? Is there any downfalls to using the Dodge 60 instead of a Chevy 60? I've been researching a SAS for over a year now but I haven't heard of many cases where people use a Dodge 60. Any reasons? The axle is cheap and I don't wanna jump the gun just cause its dirt cheap and have a 60 laying around that I can't use. That's just plain torture. Thanks for any input.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Buy it. But, try to look for some SRW hubs, assuming its DRW now. It'll work just fine.

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Didn't take much convincing but I just wanted to make sure the axle width wouldn't cause any issues seeing that it is DD. The pile of parts is stackin up. I landed this beauty a few weeks back.

The 60 should make a good match.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Dodges have a narrower WMS and spring pad width. Definatley NOT discouragment from buying. snatch it up everything is so close it will work with a 32.5" kit. Good luck. Read throught the few SAS threads here and you have all the info you need.

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advise, goin to pick it up right now. I have researched doing an SAS for a tad bit over a year and a half or so. And yes it is a DD(6-10mpg DD so why keep IFS to remain practical) and I completely understand what I'm gettin into. Should have pics when I get back.

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, went to the yard and for some reason or another the guy wouldn't let me in. Secondly the guy said there was a 50/50 chance of him crushing it. Sweet. This thing is gonna be one of those things that fights me every step of the way. The next free day I have is Monday so hopefully its still there.

And, yes, this is my only truck. Yes I do realize that typically DD and SAS do not go together. The way I see it is that if I take my time, research, and don't cut corners there's no reason it should destroy the drivabillity of the truck. Before 88 GMs were solid axle anyways and there's still plenty of them runnin around. Just not here in NY. Thanks rust.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
what are you doing as far as SAS brackets. I may be going to a coilover on the front of my truck instead of leafs so i can make you a good deal on a brand new ORU kit

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked it up. Now just have to clean it up and do a total rebuild. It was complete knuckle to knuckle minus the drivers side axle shaft. Someone already gutted those by the time I got there. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Sparkplugs FTL
1,957 Posts
Picked it up. Now just have to clean it up and do a total rebuild. It was complete knuckle to knuckle minus the drivers side axle shaft. Someone already gutted those by the time I got there. Thanks for the input guys.

at least your planning a complete rebuild to start out with remeber you are using a 30-40 year old axle for your dd if you want reliability go threw it completely
I think hes talking about for the front though...
:crazy:

·
88' K2500
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, the 88 isn't gonna get SASed until I have gone through both axles, that is after I get all the parts collected. Really I just wanted the housing and knuckles for the front cause I just assumed the guts were scrap. Any truck after one winter in NY is quickly starts converting itself to beater status lol.

Glad to see some of you guys don't follow the whole "once its SASed, it's a weekend toy" trend and I give props to you, BigRed for DDing that thing. She's huge! I read through your builds and it definantly helped give me some ideas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts