GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear yoke now moves up and down about 1/4 inch. That would be a dead yoke bearing correct? could it be from a bent housing?
I had to rev the engine and dump in reverse this past weekend and heard a 'pop'. I pulled the front dif cover and all was fine. I didnt have time to pull the rear cover so im not sure about any damage to the rear dif

movement here:
PICT0003.gif

i did that damage and blew out an exhaust gasket in about 2 minutes..im getting pretty good at breaking my shit

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
So is there supposed to be an axle under all that crap?

Yes if your pinion moves up and down 1/4" then you either killed a pinion bearing/bearings or you lost your preload somehow, such as the pinion nut coming loose. I can't even tell what kind of axle that is...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
bye bye pinion bearings is my guess. IF you drove it like that you need to pull it apart and check things out. I would replace all the bearings while your in there.

·
6,656 Posts
BuiltNotBought99 said:
Yep you bearings are shot they aren't too bad to change though.
Not to bad to change if you know what your doing. If it messed up your pinion depth and crap then you have to recheck the pattern and all. Its a decent amount of work :read:

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a 12 bolt, i just left the truck on the trailor, i will wash it before i get ready to work on it.
Thanks guys. we rebuilt the axle back in november so the other bearing should be ok. I drove it about only 1/2 mile back to the trailor so im not sure if it banged up anything else. I was hearing all kinds of new noises but i couldnt tell where they were coming from over the noise from the exhaust. When i pull it apart i will check it all out and know then for sure.
appreciate it.

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the frame and most of the drivetrain is 76, the body is 79, the doors are 82 and the engine is 84..what? it is a bog truck!? ha!
i hate putting anymore money into the 12bolt and D44 but it might be next year some time before i can get around to the 1 ton swap. SO..i just get to keep breakin/repairing what i got.

·
6,656 Posts
coo, ya need to get some pics up of it! You do know you can probbaly find a 14 bolt for less than 200.... What gears are you running?

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im running 4.56's
ive got a 14bolt FF eaton w/ limited slip 4.11's, i am going to trade it and my 12bolt to a guy for his 14 bolt FF that has a detroit locker in it and 4.65's. The only prob is right now im running a full time 203. If i put that 14bolt in, it would send all of my power to the front (less resistance) and since im open dif in the front i would only have 1 wheel turning at all times..and that would blow!
I got a 208/T400 im going to put in with the 14bolt, but like i said..it will prob be next year for i get around to it.

my truck:
PICT0018.gif

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
maybe one day i will get it to the point where i will keep from breakin it all the time...
..nawh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts