GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Is this for real?

Edit: I just re-read it. It only works if your truck is a GM certified used truck, and you had to have bought it from the dealer. I bought my '05 private party, so I don't think it works for my truck.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like it says, it will back up the warranty to the vehicles that only had the 3 year warrany on the powertrain. It will still be 5 year/ 100,000 mile, whichever comes first, and that's when it would end. It's not bumper to bumper, but still a step in the right direction. Now my '06 has a 5 year powertrain instead of 3 years. I'll take that for free.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
Fuck ya. So any truck that came with the 3/36k is now 5/100k? Thats fucking awesome cause I need to get me steering shaft fixed.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The way I read it, is it has to be a GM Certified Used vehicle bought from a GM dealer after March 5, 2007. It doesn't say anything about buying used from a private party or non-GM dealer and it doesn't say anything about warranties for original owners with the original 3 yr/36k mile warranty.

Who knows though.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
The way I read it, is it has to be a GM Certified Used vehicle bought from a GM dealer after March 5, 2007. It doesn't say anything about buying used from a private party or non-GM dealer and it doesn't say anything about warranties for original owners with the original 3 yr/36k mile warranty.

Who knows though.
thats kinda crappy that someone that bought a new truck doesnt get it but someone that got a used truck does:imo

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
thats kinda crappy that someone that bought a new truck doesnt get it but someone that got a used truck does:imo
Yep. They're in it to make money. We all know that buying from a private party is much cheaper than what a dealer tries to sell a used vehicle for. Maybe GM is thinking that they'll sell more "Certified Used Vehicles" at their dealers if they throw in this extra warranty. :think:

The thing is though, a 1-2 year old used truck from a private party is going to be around $17k (2wd ext cab, V8, LS). This same truck at a dealer is probably $19k-$20k. Yeah they'll deal a little, but so do most private parties. After March 5th, you basically have to ask yourself if paying $2k-$3k over private party values is worth the extra warranty. And it's definetly not... It would be cheaper to buy the $17k truck and add an ext. warranty after the fact.

It's cool that they're adding warranties, but you know it's going to be "worked" into the pricing of their used vehicles. :imo They're doing it to bump up their used car sales, IMO. More volume looks better.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Yep. They're in it to make money. We all know that buying from a private party is much cheaper than what a dealer tries to sell a used vehicle for. Maybe GM is thinking that they'll sell more "Certified Used Vehicles" at their dealers if they throw in this extra warranty. :think:

The thing is though, a 1-2 year old used truck from a private party is going to be around $17k (2wd ext cab, V8, LS). This same truck at a dealer is probably $19k-$20k. Yeah they'll deal a little, but so do most private parties. After March 5th, you basically have to ask yourself if paying $2k-$3k over private party values is worth the extra warranty. And it's definetly not... It would be cheaper to buy the $17k truck and add an ext. warranty after the fact.

It's cool that they're adding warranties, but you know it's going to be "worked" into the pricing of their used vehicles. :imo They're doing it to bump up their used car sales, IMO. More volume looks better.
yah thats a really good point that half the people arent going to think of

1 - 18 of 18 Posts