GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good polish/wax setup and I've used Zaino in the past, but hear a lot of positive feedback on this board about Adam's.

I have a fair amount of detailing expierience. I've wheeled out a ton of vehicles and am comfortable with a mechanical polisher/buffer (rotary). So if there's a better setup for what I want to do I'd like to hear opinions either way based on that.

My truck ('02 CC) was detailed once in the past 3 years so it is way over due. I was planning on going the clay bar route, then a 2 or 3 step polish/wax. But I've been out of the game for a while and need some advice. Thanks!

·
Needs more black
1,600 Posts
Definetely go with the Adams line! I've used both and like the Adams better!:rockit:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I'd like to try Adam's to see what all the hype is about. With that said, I've used Zaino for years with great results :thumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I thought I would throw in some Zaino pics to compare with the Adams pics in that other thread.

This guy used Zaino Fusion then polished it up. It looks outstanding in my opinion.
zaino4.jpg

zaino3.jpg

zaino5.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I would throw in some Zaino pics to compare with the Adams pics in that other thread.

This guy used Zaino Fusion then polished it up. It looks outstanding in my opinion.
zaino4.jpg

zaino3.jpg

zaino5.jpg
Wow, that is truly amazing! Im wondering though if those results are only obtained by Zaino, or if Adams (or any other leading brand) was used you would see simular results.

** I know this should be in the "Detail" section and apologize for posting it here, so if a mod could possibly move it, I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
adams makes reall quality stuff, i personally use poorboys cuz GGD is less then a hour away, lol, and im cheap lol,,

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I'm not gonna make claims that Adams is better than Zaino b/c you're comparing apples and oranges.

Heres the key thing to understand. Zaino is a product line dedicated to filling/hiding/masking imprefections (for the mostpart) I believe, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, the only abrasive/polishing product in their entire line of products is ZPC. Other than ZPC everything is gloss enhancers, fillers, curing agents, etc. Not saying thats a bad thing, its just a different way of approaching the same problem.

Now Adams on the other hand is a more traditional approach to detailing. They offer polishes and waxes... products to remove swirls and scratches and then protect the paint in addition to a full line of cleaners, dressings, and tools to get the job done right.

Again, I'm never one to say "brand x is better than brand y" because different strokes work for different folks. Some people swear by Zaino and get great results with it, but me personally, after having used A TON of different brands of products including Zaino, Adams has consistently offered me the best return on my investment of money and time.

And of course there is always Adams 110% money back guarantee on all the products offered. If you aren't happy with any of them you can return the unused product for a full refund +10%, no questions asked. If anything that coupled with what is by far the best customer service experience you can ask for is reason enough to give Adams a shot IMO.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you look at Zaino's products and Adam's products, I don't think Adams has anything (except for one) that Zaino doesn't have. I'm not saying one is better than the other either.

I used to use Carnauba wax back in the 1970's. Great shine, but it certainly does not last more than a few months. Adams has a Carnauba wax, Zaino does not.

Now, Sal Zaino is the biggest a-hole you'll ever meet, but his products are pretty darn good.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Heres the key thing to understand. Zaino is a product line dedicated to filling/hiding/masking imprefections (for the mostpart) I believe, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, the only abrasive/polishing product in their entire line of products is ZPC. Other than ZPC everything is gloss enhancers, fillers, curing agents, etc. Not saying thats a bad thing, its just a different way of approaching the same problem.

You are correct, almost all Zaino products are non-abrasive. I think this is a good thing for car enthusiasts because their paint is usually already almost perfect. If your paint isn't perfect, you may have to use abrasive products to get it in tip top shape, but after that is done, it's more about maintenance and keeping the paint perfect. Why would you want to use something abrasive on your paint if it doesn't need it?

Now if you are a detailer who does customer cars who get them done once or twice a year, you probably wouldn't want to use the Zaino system because it is very time consuming and you usually need abrasive products for neglected finishes.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
If you look at Zaino's products and Adam's products, I don't think Adams has anything (except for one) that Zaino doesn't have. I'm not saying one is better than the other either.

I used to use Carnauba wax back in the 1970's. Great shine, but it certainly does not last more than a few months. Adams has a Carnauba wax, Zaino does not.

Now, Sal Zaino is the biggest a-hole you'll ever meet, but his products are pretty darn good.
Adams Machine Superwax is actually a synthetic sealant, a blend of complex polymers and aminos, so in all honesty the Adams line has both, the Zaino line doesn't.

And I've heard some pretty bad stories about Sal... nothing first hand so I can't offer anything personally, but I've never understood why people would so vehemently support a product line produced by an "a-hole".

As for durability I think the Zaino line of thinking is kinda deceptive. Their process hinges on applying layer after layer after layer... well of course its going to be durable if you apply 57 layers it never even has a chance to break down. I could wax my car with crap from autozone... if I lay down 50 coats guess what? It'll last longer too!! Layer for layer I don't think Zaino is any more durable than a high quality carnuba or any other synthetic sealant on the market. In my breif stint in using Zaino I didn't notice any amazing difference in durability or beading from any other product I'd used previously.... if anything with only a layer or 2 it seemed to last less than products like DER at the time.

You are correct, almost all Zaino products are non-abrasive. I think this is a good thing for car enthusiasts because their paint is usually already almost perfect. If your paint isn't perfect, you may have to use abrasive products to get it in tip top shape, but after that is done, it's more about maintenance and keeping the paint perfect. Why would you want to use something abrasive on your paint if it doesn't need it?

Now if you are a detailer who does customer cars who get them done once or twice a year, you probably wouldn't want to use the Zaino system because it is very time consuming and you usually need abrasive products for neglected finishes.

I don't care what your paint care routine is, you will get swirls... its a fact of life. Now its unrealistic to think anyone uses and abbrasive product EVERYTIME they detail their car, but for the average user spot buffing will be required multiple times a year... and even if not to that extent any car will need to be buffed out a minimum of 2-3 times per year to maintain a "flawless" finish.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I have to disagree with a few things. I think Zaino's durability is fantastic and a LOT longer than a Carn. wax, and I've used both. I've also used Meguires NXT which I did not like.

Zaino's newer products (which really aren't new, they've been out a few years) do not require the old multi-step process that took all weekend. However, there are "good, better, best" processes so you can choose whatever you want.

A good shine:
(optional) Claybar or Zaino Fusion
Z-AIO (all-in-one; cleaner, polish, protectorant) - Apply, let dry, wipe off.
Z-CS (clear seal) - Spray and wipe, no buffing.
(Optional) Z-8 (grand fanale spray seal) - Spray and wipe, no residue, but lightly buff to shine.

Now, if you want to, you can add more layers of straight polish (Z-2 Pro) just like you would a Carn. wax.

Total time for Z-AIO, Z-CS, and Z-8 is about 2.0 hours and most of that is drying time for the AIO.

That's not me, but that is my car.
josh1.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sure. This guy is a member of Corvetteforum.com as am I. He was trying to earn some extra cash to buy a wedding ring and for some marriage expenses. He asked the DFW Corvette owners that are on the forum if he could polish our cars. So, I let him. Wash, Zaino Fusion, Meguires NXT (which was the first time using it and did not like it) for $100.

However, I've used Zaino products myself since late 2001 when I bought the car.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Sure. This guy is a member of Corvetteforum.com as am I. He was trying to earn some extra cash to buy a wedding ring and for some marriage expenses. He asked the DFW Corvette owners that are on the forum if he could polish our cars. So, I let him. Wash, Zaino Fusion, Meguires NXT (which was the first time using it and did not like it) for $100.

However, I've used Zaino products myself since late 2001 when I bought the car.
Just wondering. I thought you were having someone do your car and then you act like you know all about the products. But since you have used them, then it changes things. Good looking car though. :shake:

But I have never used Zaino, but I have used Adams on a couple of vehicles now and I'm very pleased with the Americana wax. It does a great job in brining out the color amd making "depth" in the paint. Very easy to apply and remove.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would have no problem trying Adam's products, maybe I'll like it more than Zaino!

My car on the dyno at LGM Motorsports:
DSC00078.jpg

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I would have no problem trying Adam's products, maybe I'll like it more than Zaino!

My car on the dyno at LGM Motorsports:
DSC00078.jpg
Maybe, you never know. I have tried all kind of products and my favorite 2 wax’s are the Americana wax from Adams and Nattys white. They both bring a nice shine to my truck and they apply and remove very easily. I think its just personal preference :imo

Sweet shot on the dyno. What kind of mods and horsepower is it pushing?

·
Registered
311 Posts
No internal mods, just bolt ons: Headers (LGM Pro), Donaldson-Blackwing air filter, Hurst shifter, dyno tune with LS1 edit. 403 HP/414 ft-lbs torque at the flywheel (SAE corrected). So, the air filter and headers gave me about 50 HP.

403 HP is not that much by today's standards, but it sure was a few years ago.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
No internal mods, just bolt ons: Headers (LGM Pro), Donaldson-Blackwing air filter, Hurst shifter, dyno tune with LS1 edit. 403 HP/414 ft-lbs torque at the flywheel (SAE corrected). So, the air filter and headers gave me about 50 HP.

403 HP is not that much by today's standards, but it sure was a few years ago.
Sweet car for sure. My frined has a 2002 camaro with Pacesetter long tubes, borla exhaust, no cats, SLP CAI, Dyno tune, Torque converter, Comp cam, heads. Its putting around 430 to the rear wheels. The thing is a beast. Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds good. My extended warranty ends this Sept. Maybe I'll go internal then.

Before the Vette, I had a 2000 Camaro SS vert. (with the SLP options). That was a great car, sometimes I wish I still had it.
SS021.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts