GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on z'ing the front my frame on my 70 c-10 how much would you guys suggest? i know alot of people do this so just wondering how much everyone else does?

·
Registered
366 Posts
It depends on how low you wanna go?

Do you have spindles, drop springs, air ride?

I talked to a guy a bit ago who had a 72 with drop spindles and air ride. He Z'd his frame 3 inchs so it would lay out when he dumped the air. I did it myself to a 75 2500 with 2 inch drop springs roughly 2.5 inchs to get the ride height I wanted. No spindles avail at that time so springs and a Z were all I had.

If you want to Z the frame more then half the width of the frame one guy told me to do 2 steps so you have more metal overlap, but that was an old school technic. Now you'd custom the whole frame to get the kick up you need.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I first got on this forum I say quite a few stock floor body droped trucks that made me jealous. Mostly this guy here I hate him completely. I want this truck.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83251&highlight=dv8customs

But if you want to go that low I would start with a clean sheet frame. The early trucks such as your didn't have great suspension, but more importantly brakes. More often large car like a Caddy had way better brakes, and the suspension is generally better too. Plus cheap as hell. Theres other great full-size cars to start with too, but any "69 and later there better" full-size is designed to ride lower then what a truck can be made to do on a lower cost level. If you have guts and mad skills or even just patience.

My friend did this 10 years ago, and he loved it.

He took a mid-70's Caddy deville, and cut it up so he could position the front and rear clips where he wanted them in relation to a 2 inch drop height. Then he ran 4x2 1/4 walled steel between the front and rear suspension clips. So when he was done he could run his truck 4 inchs off the ground with what essentially works out to be z-ing the front and rear of the frame. This was before air-ride, but on 255-60-15 which were the shit back then he would be close to laying flat out. If infact he ever put air-ride on the truck, but it rode, handled, and stopped great.

I only saw the frame once before completion, and he had his two frame pieces sitting level at the height he wanted them to be "ride height" and he had 4x4's holding some 2x4 steel at its ride height so he could calculate bends.

Then the next time I saw it. It was complete, and I peeked under the truck to see how he did it. He used just the part of the caddy frame that held suspension. So just imagine the piece from your steering box to the back of your A-arm, and the same on the passenger side. Could not see much but he said he and his uncle did it in 3 weekends with him work on the front and rear parts for the bumper himself. Then a couple more weeks to get the body back on, but the steering u-joints caused him the most problems.

The was on a 62 Apache which like you 70 is an easy wirejob compared to what they have now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WHAT NO S*!T thanks man didnt think about taking the mounts out thanks man that saves me some time lol:big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
WHAT NO S*!T thanks man didnt think about taking the mounts out thanks man that saves me some time lol:big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance:
what you didnt know that lol
when you Z that truck i puts the pinch damn close to the ground.
then just just drop the cab mounts the rest. there is room under the cab to spare. to go farther than pinch you may have to stock floor it but im not sure

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Aftermath
657 Posts
what you didnt know that lol
when you Z that truck i puts the pinch damn close to the ground.
then just just drop the cab mounts the rest. there is room under the cab to spare. to go farther than pinch you may have to stock floor it but im not sure
you don't have to i have my bros 71 that unibodyed and lays rocker but wasn't stockfloored. you can z i think it was 2 inchs or 2 1/2 and drop the mounts i like an inch and you should be good.. i might not be totally correct on those numbers. i can get pics if anyone would like

nvm just read your post dave. to go lower then pinch you would have to stockfloor, traditional or channel

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
you dont have to do anything with the cab mounts. Just Z the front 3" and cut the inch off the bottom of the frame where it curves under your feet. its like a 2 ft section and it will lay body with no body drop, no moving cab mounts and a stock floor. You will need to raise the trans tunnel a bit.

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
No you dont. theres only about 2 ft of frame that hangs below the pinchwelds under the cab where your feet are. It only hangs down an inch and a half or so. cut that off, plate it in and lay body with no body drop. loo under your truck, it curves down under your floorboard area. cut that off...

its much easier, cleaner and better in every way possible. The frame on those trucks is flimsy as hell anyway so plating it in or boxing it only helps. you box it, build a tube crossmember and solve all your problems at once.

check out the frame on this 86...

www.dallashotrodparts.com/1986chevy.html

frame Zd, bottom of frame cut off, lays body with no body drop.

·
Registered
301 Posts
for some reason that frame looks alot like the one that killer ridez did...same one?

and in my situation, i did. the transmission pan would have hung below the framerail if i just simply "cut off the the bottom" of the frame. just a heads up for anyone trying to tackle it....

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
actually the truck went to killer ridez for bodywork after it left my shop. I did the Z and installed a watts link on it and prototyped some tube arms on it. The pinch was on there the last I heard. he still has the truck but he has been working on his 05. I just made him some 1" shorter arms for the 05 also.

The 86 has not been worked on in a while. But... The frame under the cab is the only thing you have to cut off after a Z. If I were doing one with the cab on Id put stands under the cab mounts so the frame did not twist any.

On the trans thing we just layed it out and added the trans pan clearance under it with blocks then fabbed a tube crossmember at that height. Turned out to be a pretty good angle for the engine as well. although the engine in it was to be replaced later anyway.

The good thing here is that theres so much room on these trucks to do just about anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts